Principal Designer, UX Job ID 18- 695
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Position Location: San Francisco
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry is seeking an innovative, strategic, customer obsessed, and experienced visual design lead to join our San Francisco team and deliver remarkable brand experiences. The ideal candidate has an awe-inspiring portfolio, demonstrated leadership ability, and the hands-on skill necessary to bring complex scientific data and emotionally loaded messaging together with stunning design and meticulous attention to detail – in other words, inspire action.
Our Ancestry Team
We are an entrepreneurial team comprised of dedicated, warm, supportive, and friendly professionals, each with deep expertise in their domain
We are excited for the life-altering potential that will come with presenting insights derived from epic data sets.
We encourage each other to challenge convention, take risks, and to continue pushing for better ways to delight our customers
What you’ll do
- You will thrive in ambiguity
- You live for translating complex scientific concepts and business requirements into high-quality, meaningful, and engaging product experiences
- You will craft core deliverables and artifacts (e.g. workflow diagrams, sitemaps, content inventories, content audits, content matrices, content flows, taxonomies, wireframes, and navigation systems)
- Collaborate with scientific communications and design teams to develop hierarchical and organizational principles to maintain consistency across multiple workstreams
- Participate in generative research
- Facilitate collaborative design sessions including sketching, ideation, and prototyping
- Build information systems that are informed by stakeholder, validated by customers, and aligned with business initiatives
- Lead design reviews and drive decisions
- You have an awe-inspiring portfolio of desktop and mobile digital products and experiences
- You are obsessed and hyper-focused on the customer and solving real world challenges
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to translate ambiguity into insights and bias for action
- An individual who can transitions easily between high-level strategic thinking and detailed execution
- Ability to work across multiple project and creative teams
- You have experience directing and guiding the work of other designers to push boundaries in their craft
- You are enthusiastic about defining a vision and strategy for advancing areas of design (e.g. conversational UI, wearables, machine learning, AI)
- You have experience with iOS Human Interface Guidelines and Material design standards
- Years of fearless experience designing for web-based and mobile customer experiences (agency or client side)
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.