Sr. User Experience Researcher
- Lehi, UT, USA
Position Location: Lehi, Utah
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
At Ancestry, we are focused on delivering sustained value to our customers, and the User Experience Research team is an integral part of that! We are looking for a researcher to help us transform the way our teams employ research in order to arrive at actionable, customer-centered insights. This role will work closely with designers, product managers and developers to continue to build out our usability practice through developing scalable training materials. In addition, this role will be responsible supporting and owning Strategic UX Research in the family history product.
Launch and run usability testing program:
- Lead, design and launch an ongoing, scalable usability testing training program
- Formally educate designers, product managers and developers on how and when to utilize specific research tools and methods
- Get in the trenches—conduct usability and user tests across product lines
- Develop a strong understanding of teams’ research needs and determine how we can best support them in an effective and scalable manner
- Create specific testing programs for different platforms - web, mweb, and mobile
- Act as the liaison between exploratory research and usability practices
- Test and have finger on the pulse of new and best in class research tools and platforms
- Develop foundational/futures research plan for genealogy product line
- Work closely with team leads—product management, user experience, and engineering—to help implement innovative solutions to inform the product roadmap
- Strategize and socialize bold and innovative opportunities for the genealogy product line
- Collaborate across product lines to understand how customers move between our products
- Educate our company and teams on the importance of generative and empathy research.
Why we are excited about you:
- You are self-starter who has the ability to own initiatives from end-to-end
- You are well-versed or willing to become proficient in usability and user research tools, platforms, and methods
- You are empathetic by nature with an ability to listen intently and understand the deeper needs of an individual or group
- You are willing to apply these skills internally in order to learn the usability and research needs of our teams
- You are a prototyper, a facilitator, iterative thinker and doer.
- You are a collaborative team player
- You have experience conducting foundational, generative, and exploratory research
- You are comfortable with ambiguity
- You are introspective, self-aware and willing to accept constructive feedback
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.