Manager/Director, Strategic Alliance
- San Francisco, CA, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry seeks a talented Manager/Director, Strategic Alliance to manage strategic partnerships and initiatives. Ancestry is on a mission to empower journeys of personal discovery to enrich lives. To achieve this mission, we are building partnerships with leading academic, clinical, industry and other organizations to advance scientific research and drive meaningful impact to the health & wellness of our customers, their families and the ecosystem delivering their care. With a rapidly growing network of strategic collaborations, we're searching for an experienced leader to manage alliances that deliver on agreed-upon objectives and yield useful outcomes.
Leading a small alliance management team, you will drive the fulfillment of obligations and commitments that stay true to our goals and agreements. You will work closely with external parties to drive execution, support ongoing partnerships, enable future collaborations, and cultivate new opportunities. You will build bridges with partners, remove roadblocks, and enable programs to succeed. You will initiate, organize and drive activities to identify and explore opportunities to expand the scope of successful collaborations.
This position reports to the Executive Vice President and General Manager of AncestryDNA.
What you will do:
- Recognize, pursue and cultivate new strategic collaborations that advance the scientific research portfolio and/or the business goals of Ancestry.
- Lead complex alliances with cross-functional internal and external stakeholders to ensure that ways of working are clearly understood, create alignment, drive project execution, prevent project scope creep, and actively manage issues.
- Foster collaborative behavior and effective governance of strategic collaborations, protect company interests and maximize long-term value for the company, its partners and customers.
- Define goals of strategic collaborations and be accountable for successful achievement of outcomes.
- Effectively communicate goals, objectives, and outcomes of collaboration to internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage contractual obligations and ensure project goals are met according to established scope, time, and cost. Partner with Legal, Regulatory, and other stakeholders as applicable to create and negotiate amendments to agreements, as needed.
- Identify, track and report on meaningful technical, business, and financial metrics.
- Identify important value drivers, key risks and proactively manage those risks; anticipate upcoming changes in project stages or collaboration participants.
- Be responsible for how the company as a whole is perceived by the partner, and how the partnership is perceived by people within Ancestry.
- Recognize new opportunities to advance scientific research through collaborations and deliver value through deepening relationships with existing and new partners.
- Become a subject matter expert on Ancestry assets, offerings and capabilities and reliably represent them to existing and potential partners.
- Develop and implement alliance management best practices with a view to achieving economy of repetition for successful collaborations
- Grows a team of Alliance & Project Managers capable of successfully managing day-to-day, week-to-week, year-to-year relationships with partners
- Lead development of partner presentations, and create partner-facing materials to support effective collaborations.
Who you are:
You are a strategic thinker who drives execution and embraces innovation. You believe that collaborations are the best way to move science forward. You are keenly interested in leveraging diverse expertise, knowledge, and capabilities to drive research that positively impacts human health and wellness. You thrive on developing clear, effective ways of working and enabling collaborative behavior. You also have the following skills and experiences:
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in a biomedical science field (MBA, Ph.D., MPH a significant plus)
- 7+ years of experience working in a strategic alliance or business development role at a healthcare, biotech or technology company.
- Exceptional relationship management, interpersonal, and leadership skills, high EQ, and a genuine team player.
- Experience leading alliances that integrate scientific, legal, and business elements with a view to practical and efficient solutions.
- Experience in leading operational and strategic initiatives across non-colocated teams.
- Experience reviewing agreements to anticipate potential alliance management issues and negotiating amendments.
- Experience in presenting to and conversing with a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analysis skills, combined with excellent business judgment and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication with demonstrated ability to synthesize complex concepts and distill vast quantities of information.
- Highly organized and efficient, incredible attention to detail, and strong project management skills.
- Highly effective in prioritizing work with very little direction, ability to handle multiple, completing tasks and make decisions efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and motivate others over whom you may not have direct authority.
- Able to intuit partner needs, desires, and motivations and use that understanding to build empathy and trust.
- Thrives in an environment that is continuously evolving as genomic discoveries push the envelope of what we can learn and discern about our genetic and family histories.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.