Software Engineer (JR / Platform Java) - Ancestry (Tree Platform Services team)
- Lehi, UT, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/careers
A major component of the Ancestry customer experience is interfacing with member Trees. The Trees Service Platform team is the backend team that provides APIs to internal and external development teams to deliver Tree information to customers. The primary goal for this team will be to securely store, manage and quickly retrieve Tree data to the Ancestry community.
Ancestry is seeking an exceptionally passionate and motivated Junior Java engineer, to join our Trees Service team. This critical role will be a key player on this software development team that is going to build the next generation experience for Ancestry customers specific to Trees, helping develop key components of this 100+ million trees store and build services.
You will work in partnership, and be highly collaborative with our entire Ancestry organization, on a standard SCRUM team.
- Provide Java technical expertise to your team of software developers and quality engineers (also identifying opportunities for technical advancements and own their delivery)
- Work on development efforts towards successful feature delivery for improved Trees experiences for customers and application developers
- Maintain high standards for software quality by establishing good practices and habits and automated checks
- Collaborate with software developers, marketing team, product owners, architects to plan, design, develop and test applications
- Analyze and resolve technical and application or solution related issues
- Research and evaluate software products that might fit the needs of the solution better (eg. if emerging technologies can improve on performance or scaling etc)
- You are a passionate software engineer, who has a minimum of three years (ideal is four to eight) of prior platform development experience (Java is ideal) within an enterprise organization.
- You have at least two years’ experience of working on large scale systems
- You have at least two years of relational database experience (Aurora or MySQL preferred)
- Bachelor's in Computer Science degree (or related discipline/experience) required.
- Server side technologies - Java preferred
- Frameworks (Spring is preferred)
- Microservices based architecture (REST)
- Continuous deploy and integration tools like Jenkins
- Designing and developing enterprise grade software in fast-paced distributed environments (highly scalable, reliable, available)
- Agile methodologies (SCRUM)
- Cloud based infrastructure experience is required (AWS is preferred)
- Debugging, performance profiling and optimization is required
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities