Lead/Sr Interaction/Visual Designer (Branding)
- San Jose, CA
eBay is a technology company driving the ‘future of commerce’! We are enabling consumers to buy anything, anywhere, anyhow, thus unifying the online buying experience across the mobile, local, social and digital space.
With more than 100 million active users globally (as of Q4 2011), we are the world's largest online marketplace. Our collective impact on ecommerce is staggering: In 2011, the total value of goods sold on eBay was $68.6 billion -- more than $2,100 every second. And we need you!
Even after 17 years (which is like, eons in Internet time), eBay is committed to innovation and growth. We're here to stay, and playing to win in a competitive space. Financially, we're rock solid. As a company and as individuals, we're growing, and making a difference every day, come join us!
Do you enjoy sussing out UX trends and applying them with foresight to create new inspired products? Do you love tackling large problems and breaking them down into simple solutions? Are you passionate about building easy-to-use, dynamic interfaces and experiences that are engaging, functional and fun!
Wonderful – Let’s talk!
Join eBay’s Core Site Design organization as a Senior Interaction/Visual Designer where you will help envision, define and design the future of commerce for eBay. By focusing on the user first you will help revolutionize how people connect with their desired products, brands, and retailers.
The Core Site Design team is responsible for most of the ebay.com website and tablet web user interfaces. This team is constantly pushing the boundaries to make big things happen in a holistic way; think you are up to the task? Designers on this team have a wide range of experience, are fun, collaborative and awesome to work with!
What will you do?
- Identify, understand and communicate key UX trends to broad team members and organizations to help create user-centric solutions aligned to content, business, technology and design.
- Lead digital brand definition and extension while contributing to overall brand definition
- Lead, champion and maintain eBay design standards and industry best practices across all eBay products
- Evangelize best-in-class UX solutions to internal product and business teams
- Ability to identify optimized product strategy, UX vision and inspire teams to build it
- Bring your vision to life using a variety of tools from white boards to high fidelity click-throughs
- You'll work closely with product teams and within the design team on projects ranging from creating new and unique experiences to improving existing eBay flows.
Must be eligible to work in the US, no 3rd parties
- A 60/40 split is ideal regardless of the emphasis; at eBay our designers do both interaction and visual design. In regards to how their time is split its 100% of both as they will be driving projects from end 2 end work through all phases of design simultaneously
- Opinion, Smarts, and Thought Process: can provide their opinion on the projects they've worked on, explain the rational and logic behind their design decisions, and has an overarching level of intelligence. We seek designers who contribute to the refinement and advancement of the product and UX.
- Self-Starters: can hit the ground running, don't require a lot of UX or PM management, and have a track record of delivering designs expediently.
- Interaction Design: can show evidence of experience of the interaction design process utilized to attain the result.
- Visual Design: demonstrate expert use of type; design the wireframes in a neat, nearly pixel perfect manner. Designers who can demonstrate the ability to create stunningly beautiful visual/graphic designs
- Project Range: have experience designing across tablet, desktop, and mobile and are familiar with the constraints and trade-offs of each.
- You should be passionate about building easy-to-use, dynamic interfaces and experiences that are engaging, functional and fun!
- Advanced degree in design or related technical field
- 8+ years of significant track record in defining and delivering great user experience to a large number of customers
- Ability to define UX visions and inspire others to execute against that vision
- Proven track record as a thought partner who can collaborate well with other functions
- Demonstrated ability to lead rapid ideation and execution toward world-class UX solutions
- Mastery of web design principles, interaction design, typography, color, iconography, layout
- Excellent command of: user experience methods, design principles, problem-framing skills, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with online products in the consumer and ecommerce spaces a plus
- Strong portfolio featuring visual design samples (preferably consumer web, mobile, enterprise / consumer software)