Front-end Web Developer (Browse/Search Experience)
- San Jose, CA
eBay is a technology company driving the ‘future of commerce’! We are enabling consumers to buy anything, anywhere, anyhow, thus unifying the online buying experience across the mobile, local, social and digital space.
With more than 100 million active users globally (as of Q4 2011), we are the world's largest online marketplace. Our collective impact on ecommerce is staggering: In 2011, the total value of goods sold on eBay was $68.6 billion -- more than $2,100 every second. And we need you!
Even after 17 years (which is like, eons in Internet time), eBay is committed to innovation and growth. We're here to stay, and playing to win in a competitive space. Financially, we're rock solid. As a company and as individuals, we're growing, and making a difference every day, come join us!
Want to impact the world’s largest online marketplaces search page? Do you want to help innovate and creating engaging search & browse experiences? Does working with the latest and greatest technologies excite you?
You are in luck! The Search & Discovery Team is building the future Browse Experience for eBay buyers. Our goal is to make eBay the first place you go to when you want to buy something by building an engaging end-to-end experience for people to shop in a connected manner.
If you are a talented, creative, and passionate Front-end Web Developer, we want to talk to you!
In this team you will use the latest technologies to solve a myriad of technical challenges, while working on highly available and scalable applications. You will specialize in creating engaging search and discovery experiences using the latest UX paradigms in how people browse the site. We need our engineers to be dynamic, versatile and always eager to tackle new problems as we continue to build next generation experiences and grow the business.
What will you do?
- Build the future browse experience for eBay
- Work with other engineers, managers, Product Management, QA, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Lead new and existing product initiatives, assist with definition of product direction, review and provide recommendations related to design, engineering effort, planning, and product launches with cross-functional impact.
- Implement proof-of-concept prototypes for data collection, analysis, and presentation.
- Independently segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, implement software applications.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, QA and Operations teams to architect and develop strategic and scalable solutions
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other teams and team members.
- Estimate engineering effort; plan implementation, and rollout system changes. Share engineering support, release, and on-call responsibilities.
Must be eligible to work in the US, no 3rd parties
- Advanced knowledge of MVC, OOP, and object oriented programming design paradigms.
- Expertise required in object-oriented design methodology and application development in Java (need to be able to read, modify and debug. No architectural changes.).
- Experience with database technologies like Oracle, My SQL, NO SQL dbs
- Experience in developing high performance, high traffic, high availability, consumer facing web applications.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures, and algorithms.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Proven results oriented person with a delivery focus in a high velocity, high quality environment
- Experience with agile development methodologies such as Test Driven Development (TDD) is a plus.
- Open Source projects and startup experience is a plus
- BS/BA in Computer Science