Manager Software Engineer Ad Serving Platform - building a new team
- San Jose, CA
eBay is a technology company driving the ‘future of commerce’! We are enabling consumers to buy anything, anywhere, anyhow, thus unifying the online buying experience across the mobile, local, social and digital space.
Are you looking for a challenging project that has high visibility, will impact millions, is revenue producing and is in the initial stages of being developed? Does building a team from scratch excite you?
You are in luck, the Search & Discover Team is doing just that! Our goal is to build an engaging end-to-end experience for people to shop in a connected manner.
We are looking for dynamic and innovative Software Engineering Managers to build and manage a talented engineering team that builds highly impactful, revenue producing platforms that evolve constantly, embrace new and open source technologies.
The Search & Discover Team uses the latest technologies to solve a myriad of technical challenges, while working on highly available and scalable applications. Engineers on this team are dynamic, versatile and always eager to tackle new problems as we continue to build next generation experiences that grow our business.
What you will do:
- Build a team from the ground up
- Work with other engineers, managers, Product Management, QA, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Technically lead new and existing product initiatives, assist with definition of product direction. Define, design, and implement software applications. Segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, QA and Operations teams to architect and develop strategic and scalable solutions
- Review and provide recommendations related to design, engineering effort, planning, and product launches with cross-functional impact.
- Implement proof-of-concept prototypes for data collection, analysis, and presentation.
- Estimate engineering effort; plan implementation, and rollout system changes. Share engineering support, release, and on-call responsibilities.
- Communicate to technical and non-technical audiences.
Must be eligible to work in the US, no 3rd parties.
What we are looking for:
- Technical Manager who has “super” tech instinct and “know how”; Architects that do intense code reviews.
- 7+ years as a Java engineer building high performance consumer facing web applications.
- 1-5 years managing engineers and actively managing, coaching and mentoring a team of 4+ engineers
- Large scale systems experience; must have driven complex technology initiatives and built data driven platforms using distributed computing, large data processing, web services, messaging queues and some open source technologies.
- Proven leader with the right balance between business acumen, technology and people skills
- Strong commitment and ability to shine even in the most adverse situations
- Excellent communication skills
- Bachelor’s or Masters in computer science or related field
- Open Source projects, startup and ecommerce experience is a plus