Performance Engineer Architect
- San Jose, CA
At PayPal/eBay, no matter which of our offices, brands, or locations you call home, you’ll discover consistent benefits that are intended to support you—in your work, your life, your passions, and your future. This is where innovation meets reality! Are you an individual who is ready to grow and join our global community? Would you just like to know more about our latest and greatest projects? We would love to talk to you about it!
As a member of the quality engineering organization, act as a steward for the performance and reliability requirements and goals of the PayPal payment system, focusing on configuration and environment optimization. The chosen candidate will be a highly driven self-starter who is comfortable working on a large, complex, multi-tier, distributed payment platform. The right candidate will be naturally curious about the inner workings of applications and interactions with virtualization software and hardware resource utilization. This position will focus on hardware and infrastructure characterization so the candidate must have strong experience with Linux and virtualization software, and the tuning of applications to optimize for CPU, memory, and I/O.
- Candidate should understand system architecture and design principles and be able to anticipate probable performance and reliability weaknesses for a given design.
- S/he needs to be resourceful and innovative in creating test cases and diagnostic tools, and for mining various data sources to build the necessary inputs that will ensure accurate characterization of performance and scalability and dis/prove a given hypothesis.
- Must have excellent communication skills and work well with other quality teams, product development, and the operations and capacity planning teams.
- Will frequently be tasked to train and educate others and be an enabling force and champion for non-functional quality in the technology organization.
- Candidate will be passionate about including performance and reliability engineering into all aspects of the software development lifecycle and have a sound understanding of non-functional requirements.
- Should possess a competitive spirit and be determined to find performance and reliability weaknesses in system design and to push product developers to improve their craftsmanship in this domain.
- Must have moderate to strong Linux experience and skills and some experience working with virtualization software such as VMware, KVM, or OpenStack.
- Prior performance characterization of virtualization solutions would be highly valued.
- Should be comfortable with routine system administration tasks such as configuring file systems, IP settings, and be able to debug performance and reliability problems related to system configurations.
- Will need to manage a number of different test environments and must be capable of using and building tools to monitor and automate related support tasks.
- Prefer ability to develop tools in Java and/or Python.
- Understands how to characterize and generate a representative workload for driving load tests.
- Should have experience with at least one test driver solution (Loadrunner, SilkPerformer, Jmeter, etc.) and some profiling tools.
Talent Acquisition- Sourcer