Front-end Engineer/UI Engineer (Checkout team)
- San Jose, CA
eBay is a technology company driving the ‘future of commerce’! We are enabling consumers to buy anything, anywhere, anyhow, thus unifying the online buying experience across the mobile, local, social and digital space.
Want to impact the world's largest online marketplace's checkout experience? Enjoy solving scalability, performance and responsive web challenges in the user interface using the latest technologies?
You are in luck! The eBay Checkout Application team is looking for strong Software Front-end/UI Engineers to help us rebuild our checkout experience with the latest UI technologies. Some technical challenges you will tackle are figuring out how to leverage new technologies at scale that are reliable, how to create a personalized checkout experience that is optimized for performance to name a few.
Who are we?
The eBay Checkout Applications team is a revenue producing team responsible for our checkout experience. This team is working on completely revamping the checkout for eBay.com to make it more modern experience using the latest technologies. In working on this team you will enjoy an informal atmosphere with some of the brightest people in the industry and impact millions of users daily. Join us and shape the future of connected commerce!
What will you do?
- Re-factor and enhance the checkout experience for eBay using the latest technologies while maintaining the existing system.
- Working closely with product management, designers in defining user interactions, components and help create a truly best in class user experience for eBay buyers and sellers.
- Working with various internal and external service provides on technical design, work estimation and implementation of user experience
- Building web applications with rich interaction capability, front-end components, and frameworks that emphasize performance and multi-screen, multi-browser capabilities.
- Being a strong proponent for quality from ground up -- organize and participate in design and code reviews
- Identify, catalog and evangelize best practices for performance and quality in front-end engineering
- Estimate engineering effort, plan implementations, and roll out applications with cross-functional impact
- Lead product initiatives and recommend improvements
- Develop and support projects throughout all phases of the development life cycle
- Work jointly with other team members to deliver complex applications
- Focus on quality and security including automation, design reviews, and unit testing
- Performing analysis and fine tuning of page performance and reliability
- Proficient in agile development methodologies
- Flexible approach to analyzing technical issues and clearly communicating recommendations and solutions
What we are looking for:
Must be eligible to work in the US, no 3rd parties
- Experience in developing consumer facing web applications using Ajax
- Experience in basic cross browser support, caching and optimization techniques (css sprite, minify, gzip, data uri) for faster page load times
- Experience in JSP and developing UI components (taglibs, jQuery plugins) with support for accessibility
- Knowledge in any one of these: LESS, bootstrap.js, backbone.js, underscore.js will be considered a plus
- Open Source projects and start-up experience is a plus
- BS/BA in Computer Science or related field plus 5 years work experience or MS plus 4 years of relevant experience
Please watch Bill Scott’s Fluent Talk to learn more about our technology shift at our companies: http://bit.ly/1g4QMsv