Information Architect/Interaction Designer (Search/Discovery Team)
- San Jose, CA
eBay is a technology company driving the ‘future of commerce’! We are enabling consumers to buy anything, anywhere, anyhow, thus unifying the online buying experience across the mobile, local, social and digital space.
Do you enjoy streamlining complicated information across devices? Love working on highly visible and impactful projects? Want to work in a fun, flexible, start-up environment but have a good work life balance?
We are looking for a Information Architect/UX Designer to leverage their search, SEO and commerce experience to re-imagine our shopping flows from a multi-screen perspective. If you are interested in creating streamlined solutions for complex problems then we’d love to talk with you!
Who are we?
The Search and Discovery Design team is responsible for the look and feel of the core buying experience which includes (search, view item, SEO, marketing and merchandising engines, promotions and transaction flows) . The search page has the most traffic on our site (140 million hits per/day during holiday season). In working on this team you will have a huge financial impact with large and complex challenges in a fast paced environment. This team has a customer first mentality, likes to have fun, is very collaborative and made up of some of the best designers in the business.
What you will do:
- Define, drive future vision and owns the evolution of the user experience/architecture and interaction models for the core buying experience to include Search and SEO which are two of the most complicated parts of our site.
- Champion and maintain eBay design standards and industry best practices across owned products.
- Collaborate with and influence cross-functional teams to deliver a world-class customer experience.
- Articulate design rationale as a means to balance business goals and user needs, and ensures stakeholder satisfaction with the results delivered by the User Experience Design team.
- Lead and mentor fellow designers at all levels - Ensure fellow team members consistently meet stakeholder goals and produce world-class deliverables. Make sure team members understand, leverage, influence and communicate new technologies and techniques that improve the user experience.
Must be eligible to work in the US, sorry no 3rd parties.
What we are looking for:
- 10+ years' experience plus BS/BA or 7+ years' experience and a Masters in User-centered design, HCI, Cognitive Science, or related field
- Have a keen understanding of e-commerce, user experience and information architecture.
- An understanding of SEO, Free traffic and Social Media and developing design strategies to enable business goals are also a must for this position.
- Have a Portfolio that exhibits solid system thinking in regards to the overall user experience, a solid grasp of information architecture, flow diagrams, taxonomy, wireframes, and web technologies.
Functional Skill Requirements:
- Creates effective designs and vision in a fast, agile manner.
- Designs reflect solid working knowledge of current and projected experience design principles, standards and guidelines.
- Make sound decisions to ensure projects are designed to address both user and business goals
- Ability to provide rationale for team’s designs which requires strong working understanding of design nomenclature
Technical Skill Requirements:
- Expert level ability in Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, hand coded HTML, CSS and other critical design tools.
- Leverage the capabilities and takes into account the limitations of HTML, the web and various browsers, but, always seeks out ways to innovate around limitations.
About Design at ebay
At ebay activating design thinking is a priority and it all starts with our designers. We are taking steps to incorporate design thinking into all aspects of our company. To start, we brought in John Maeda to help drive the design innovation and the commerce revolution. We are looking for other top designers to help us complete our vision, are you ready to make your mark on our company?
Find out more by viewing the following sites:
- eBay Design website: http://ebay.com/design/
- eBay CEO John Donahoe on the Importance of Design : http://dthin.gs/1aUqzOo