Customs Compliance Supervisor
- 456 W Olive Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94086, USA
“We’re not in the shipping business; we’re in the information business” -Peter Rose, Expeditors Founder
As a Fortune 500 company, Expeditors employs more than 16,000 trained professionals in a worldwide network of over 300 locations across six continents. Expeditors satisfies the increasingly sophisticated needs of international trade through customized solutions and seamless, integrated information systems. Our services include the consolidation and forwarding of air or ocean freight, customs brokerage, vendor consolidation, cargo insurance, time-definite transportation, order management, warehousing, distribution and customized logistics solutions. Expeditors is headquartered in Seattle, Washington.
The Customs Compliance Supervisor will be part of a Global Onsite Team (located at customer's premise) supporting one of Expeditors high-tech customers. The Customs Compliance Supervisor is a key member of the import/export compliance team which facilitates the efficient and timely movement of goods worldwide. This is a leadership role, and the dynamic nature of this team requires individuals who can think quickly, act independently, and proactively solve problems before they arise. Strong customer service skills and effective communication are required.
The Compliance Supervisor will be accountable for meeting all major duties and responsibilities outlined below in a timely and responsive manner, as directed by the local management teams.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and coordinates the operations related to US Onsite Customs Compliance Team.
- Manages customs compliance requests via customer's proprietary ticketing system and ensure smooth and timely export/import process flows.
- Review, approve Commercial Invoices, shipping documents, and analyze complex compliance queries.
- Serve as the first point of escalation for customer queries/problems that Customs Compliance Coordinators in the team are unable to close or resolve.
- Train new staff in assigned duties, assess progress of trainees and assign additional duties as appropriate.
- Responsible for the quality assurance of the team’s outputs and remediation for deficiencies.
- Responsible for daily tracking of operational metrics and regular performance reporting. Monitor team’s metrics and ensure compliance with Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Ensure team is in full compliance with all applicable trade regulations. This includes internal policies and procedures such as Standard Work Instructions (SWI), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), external government regulations and customer policies / requirements.
- Oversee and monitor team performance and conduct periodic operational reviews to identify areas of concern in the processes. Communicate and escalate problems or irregularities to management and assist in identifying solutions.
- Assist with the team-member's Annual Performance reviews. Promptly address employee performance problems promptly and directly in accordance with personnel policies.
- Identify and implement process improvements for SWIs and SOPs.
- Drafts and completes daily, weekly reports, and documents.
- Develop and maintain excellent service to internal and external customers/3rd parties at all times.
- Actively engage with customers in advanced planning for large projects.
- Must complete a minimum of 52 hours training per year.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Current Licensed US Customs Broker. Candidates who are eligible for Licensed Customs Broker Status will be considered.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of direct experience managing and leading teams.
- Minimum 1-2 years of project management experience.
- 3-5 years related experience in high-tech sector, import or export compliance, and international logistics operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of compliance, import/export/trade regulations, global freight forwarding, export/import operations.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with external and internal customers to gather information and coordinate projects and/or shipments to satisfy the customer’s needs.
- Ability to allocate tasks responsibilities to others to maximize the team and the individual’s effectiveness.
- Ability to work under stress and problem solve, enabling teams and individuals to meet and exceed customer’s deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Uses appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team and facilitate the completion of team goals.
- Proactive with strong organizational skills.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, email and various PC based software applications.
- US Citizen, green card, or valid independent work permit required. No sponsorship of visas or work permits.
Expeditors offers excellent benefits
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (US only)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.