Event Planning Intern
- 1380 Monroe Street, NW, Washington, DC
iBlack is an early stage startup with a mission to become the leading lifestyle portal for black America. We host up to 30 unique lifestyle events per month such as formal events, tastings, “learn how to” classes, nightlife tours and parties, seminars, guided tours, online trainings, and special events like New Year's Eve and other Holiday parties.
The work is a lot of fun, very social, and is an ideal experience for people with entrepreneurial aspirations. We are looking for people who are reliable, have excellent social skills, well organized with great communication and collaboration skills.
We are seeking two (2) Event Planning interns to join the iBlack team and assist in coordinating events. Interns will be responsible for assisting in the coordination of 20 - 30 local events monthly. Candidate will gain invaluable event planning experience due to the number and variety of events our company hosts.
Requirements for this position include a blend of skills, experience and personal qualities to work with numerous outside parties, vendors, and organizations. You must also be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously while motivating and managing a group of supporters and volunteers.
In addition, applicants must be well organized with excellent communication and collaboration capabilities, be creative and driven to help make this startup business a success.
Our culture is very laid back. Think silicon valley start up. Our company is fast paced, exciting and highly value creative thinking and initiative. You will have access to internal company technology and resources necessary to be successful in a virtual office environment,
This is an unpaid internship, however intern will be paid by the hour if/when they work at our functions as event staff. In addition, the interns selected have the opportunity for high level full time employment and the ability to receive company stock options upon completing certain initiatives. This is an extremely unique opportunity for a group of very motivated individuals to create a business with the help of experienced entrepreneurs. The experiences gained from this position will be unparalleled and invaluable and will set each of these individuals up to be incredibly financially successful.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Assist in the planning, executing and overseeing 20 - 30 events per month (most are small events)
- Establish milestones, goals (timelines, resources, budget, fund raising) and track progress
- Work with a cross-functional team of event partners, sponsors and vendors to coordinate their participation with our events
- Generate reports on various projects status
- Solicit support and contribution from various stakeholders
- Set up, coordinate, and participate internal meetings and conferences
- Work with the marketing team internally to brand and promote events
• Candidates will spend 3-6 months working on the business development aspects of our start up business.
• Required 10-15 hours/week.
• Candidates are NOT required to work between normal hours (9:00AM-5:00PM) except for specific reasons such as a planned meeting.
• Candidates will be required to track their time and company activities.
• Strong analytical skills Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• We provide our interns with useful feedback regarding their performance throughout their internship
It is the policy of iBlack to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants, regardless of race, religion, religious affiliation, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, or veteran status.
We look forward to receiving your application. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.