Staff Engineer Embedded Software
- Fremont, CA
Ikanos develops robust, high performance semiconductor and software products. Our advanced communications processors, broadband DSL and other devices power access infrastructure and customer premises equipment for many of the world’s leading network equipment manufacturers and telecommunications service providers. With approximately 90 million devices shipped to date, we are enabling the cost-effective delivery of triple- and quadruple-play services to and throughout homes and offices around the world.
Headquartered in Fremont, Calif., we have offices around the world to service our global customer base. Our engineers are responsible for inventions captured in approximately 400 issued patents and applications. And we lead public standards development by actively participating and contributing to standards bodies such as HomeGrid™, ATIS, Broadband Forum, FSAN, IEEE 802.3, ITU-T, NIPP-NAI, and TTC (Japan).
Success in this role means success in delivering results through team work and a relentless focus on what’s best for Ikanos. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into Ikanos every work day with an unwavering belief that you can and do influence affairs for the better and that in turn you will stand to reap the rewards both financially and professionally that your contribution merits.
Success in this role will depend on the candidate being able to quickly ramp up on the details of the Ikanos software architecture and be able to deliver on critical assignments. Here are some specific milestones that will be needed for success:
1) Within the first 20-30 days, the candidate should have a solid understanding of the Ikanos DSL architecture. This should be a detailed enough understanding that the candidate can beginning new feature developments in any area of the code.
2) Within the first 60-90 days the candidate should be able to successfully complete development and testing of first set of assigned tasks.
3) Within the first 6 months the candidate should have complete and thorough understanding of the Ikanos software architecture and established himself as a key resource for all software related tasks and discussions.
In this position, the candidate will become a key contributor in a small team of software experts that will be working to redesign and enhance the ikanos DSL software codebase.
Example tasks will include helping to evaluate and design RTOS, reviewing and updating overall software architecture, designing an implementing key features of DSL modem, designing and developing enhanced debugging capabilities, and working to architect and implement a detailed software test infrastructure within the codebase.
The candidate will also be involved in reviewing and enhancing software development processes, software coding guidelines and the selection and deployment of advanced software development tools. This candidate will report to the Manager of Embedded Software Development within Ikanos.
Someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies, and where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point. You bring to the organization the following competencies:
- Education should be at MSCS or MSEE ( or equivalent level) with 5+ years of experience in software development
- Good experience in development of software for real-time embedded systems
- Well versed in C and C++. Experience with Java, as well as other scripting languages is a plus
- Familiar with multi-processor systems
- Should have a good understanding of device drivers
- Knowledge of hardware/software system partition, interfaces’ design and optimization is a plus
- Training in Computer Architecture is a plus
- Knowledge of communication protocols for physical layer devices is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
If this sounds like you, and you're ready to join the leading provider of advanced broadband semiconductor and software products for the digital home, we encourage you to apply now.