General Manager of the Merriam Theater
- Philadelphia, PA
Kimmel Center, Inc., a charitable, not-for-profit organization, owns, manages, supports and maintains The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, whichincludes Verizon Hall, Perelman Theater, Innovation Studio and the Merck Arts Education Center. Kimmel Center, Inc. also manages the Academy of Music, owned by the Philadelphia Orchestra Association, andthe University of the Arts’ Merriam Theater. Our mission is to operatea world-class performing arts center that engages and serves a broadaudience from throughout the Greater Philadelphia region.
Reports to: Vice President, Facilities and Operations
Direct Reports: Production Manager, House Manager, Ushers, Operations Assistant Manager
Summary: The General Manager, Merriam Theater will be responsible for the overall operation of the Merriam Theater under the current lease agreement between the building owner, University of the Arts, and Kimmel Center Inc.
- Oversees booking and event schedules at the Merriam Theater
- Supervises front–of–house staff including, but not limited to: ushers, concessions, custodial, engineering and maintenance staff when they are working in the Merriam
- Oversees all administrative aspects including, but not limited to: rentals and contracting for facility use, event management, resource planning, and handling customer complaints
- Provides fiscal responsibility for: payroll reconciliation for usher staff, purchasing, event settlement, and annual budget forecasting, etc. Works with the Production Manager on payroll reconciliation for stagehands, teamsters and wardrobe
- Coordinates and communicates with other departments within the Kimmel Center Facilities and Operations team including security, house keeping, programming, marketing and finance
- Participates in Sales and Marketing initiatives designed to promote the Merriam Theater as an extension of the KimmelCenter brand
- Creates and maintains a working relationship with the KC contract caterer and all other vendors and contractors
- Minimizes labor and resource costs to clients
- Coordinates all facility users event requirements including pre-event planning, event management, and post event labor allocations and event invoicing
- Monitors performance venue conditions and note required repairs, improvements or modifications to the appropriate KC or UArts department
- Bachelor’s Degree in Arts Management
- Minimum of five to seven years experience in performing arts facility management including customer service, client relations and supervision
- Strong management, organizational, financial analysis, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Superior working knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Excellent ability to negotiate, manage conflict and develop staff
- Excellent communication skills with all levels in the organization including the Board and community
- Ability to lead multiple projects, establish priorities, and respond effectively to continually shifting priorities
Physical and other Conditions:
- Indoor environment requiring a great deal of movement in a large physical space
- Availability to work nights and weekends
We look forward to receiving your application!
All resumes received for specific positions will be kept on file for one year. All information received for general consideration will be maintained for six months. If an interview is considered appropriate, the Human Resources Department will contact you. Due to the volume of mail received, we are unable to respond to telephone inquiries regarding application status.
Kimmel Center, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a diverse working environment.