(SQL) Database Administrator - 1248
- Los Angeles, CA
March Vision Care is a Knox Keene licensed, vision care plan managing and providing vision care programs for health plans, HMO’s and the business community; currently serving over 4.8 million members nationwide. We have a commitment to excellence for all facets of our vision benefit programs. We offer a fun, fast-paced and modern work environment.
March Vision Care’s mission is to be an active partner in improving health through high quality affordable vision care that focuses on early detection, education, and management through innovative, member-oriented solutions.
The Database Administrator’s role is to design, install, monitor, maintain, and performance tune production databases while ensuring high levels of data availability. This individual is also responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of databases and their accompanying software.
Strategy & Planning
- Assess and develop long-term strategic goals for production SQL databases in conjunction with data owners and department managers.
- Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research and make recommendations on SQL database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Create models for new SQL database development and/or changes to existing ones.
- Install and configure relevant components to ensure secure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
- Respond to and resolve SQL database access and performance issues.
- Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for database systems.
- Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to business user needs.
- Perform database transaction and security audits.
- Establish appropriate end-user database access control levels.
- Develop routines for end users to facilitate best practices database use.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards, and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree preferably in the field of computer science or 10 years of equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in Microsoft or Oracle systems desirable.
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting Microsoft SQL database servers.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- Working knowledge of Storage Area Network (SAN) and file systems.
- Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
- Project management experience.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
Do you possess the strategic, conceptual and creative thinking skills necessary to out-perform your job description? If you have an open mind and a true passion for our organization's mission and can execute numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure, MARCH VISION CARE, a rapidly growing health care provider located in West Los Angeles, offers the daily rewards and challenges associated with a fast-paced, cutting-edge organization. We offer a pleasant working environment and a competitive compensation/benefits package. Take advantage of a great location and pleasant team atmosphere that fosters creativity, where your input can have a profound effect. Are you ready to become a part of the MARCH success?
For consideration please visit our website at www.marchvisioncare.com, select the position you are interested in, and click "I'm Interested." Or you may also apply by emailing your resume (.doc or .pdf) to " target="_blank"> and make sure to include the requisition number in the subject line.
March Vision Care, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer who employs individuals based on job-related qualifications regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disabilities, or any basis prohibited by law. Our business supports a drug free work environment, which requires pre-employment drug screening. We also conduct thorough background investigations and all positions require skill assessment tests.