Hiring ManagerHiring Success Glossary
In the hiring process, the Hiring Manager is the individual who will ultimately be the direct manager of the new hire. In other words, the new hire will be reporting to the Hiring Manager once they’ve accepted the job offer and started their new employment.
The hiring manager is arguably the most critical role to the hiring process and is typically responsible for:
- Identifying the staffing requirement for a replacement or new position.
- Obtaining approval from the department executive or head to open a job requisition for that requirement.
- Writing an accurate and effective job description to attract the best candidates. This will also be used by the recruiter as a basis for initially assessing the skills and qualifications of job applicants.
- Defining roles and responsibilities for the hiring team as well as setting expectations for the interview process.
- Acting as the primary interviewer during the interview process. The Hiring Manager will often be the first interviewer once a candidate has passed screening by the recruiter.
- Marketing new job opportunities internally, within their department or even company wide; requesting employee referrals from peers and teams.
- Owning the final hiring decision, pending executive approval, and effectively managing the hiring team throughout the recruiting process.
- Notifying the recruiter if a position is to be withdrawn.
Learn how the SmartRecruiters Talent Acquisition Platform works for every hiring role at your company.