One-year Community Engagement Editor
- 1120 John Street, Seattle, WA
The Seattle Times is a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, recognized as one of the best in the country. At The Seattle Times, your work matters. We are a family-owned-and-operated company, dedicated to the community we serve. The Times is a drug-free workplace and equal opportunity employer. Learn more about our company at seattletimescompany.com.
The community engagement editor for the Seattle Times-Solutions Journalism Project will bring a startup mentality and passion and tenacity for seeking solutions to the big questions facing education. In this one-year position, the editor will develop and manage a blog for the project that will become the region’s destination for education conversations. This editor will edit and curate staff and community contributions and conversations, making the blog a destination for the latest news and most innovative thinking on education advances and policies.
The hallmark of this editor's efforts will be developing and executing on a successful in-person and digital engagement strategy that connects with all facets of the community, reaching beyond the education experts and journalists to include parents, teachers and community members – particularly from underserved neighborhoods throughout the Puget Sound region.
Duties will vary depending on our needs and your strengths but may include:
- Start up, edit and curate a blog
- Engage community members in person, on social media and via online interaction
- Recruit community members to contribute to the blog
- Identify and cultivate partnerships with community organizations and media partners
- Drive readership and community engagement
- Conduct outreach for and participate in community forums
- Copy editing skills
- Understanding of how people use digital tools to produce and consume information and share ideas
- Knowledge of AP style, understanding of SEO principles
- Strong social media skills
- Familiarity with content management tools, including blogging platforms such as WordPress
This job is for you if you have:
- A passion for education issues
- Big ideas about digital journalism tempered with practical know-how and the ability to get things done
- A desire to inform and engage with community members online and in person in innovative ways
Preferred candidates will have a bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in journalism or a related field, with extensive digital experience.
To apply, please submit a resume, a cover letter, no more than five samples of your work and a list of references. Application deadline is Friday, August 16.
The Seattle Times Company is an equal opportunity employer.