Vita.mn assistant editor/reporter
- 425 Portland Avenue, Minneapolis, MN
Star Tribune Media Company is Minnesota’s largest producer and distributor of news, information and advertising across multiple print and digital platforms, including newspaper, website, mobile, tablet and video formats. The Star Tribune newspaper and StarTribune.com regularly reach more than two-thirds of the adults in the Twin Cities market or more than 1.7 million people. The company has been serving the Minneapolis/Saint Paul market for more than 144 years, providing trusted local and regional news and information produced by the largest force of professional journalists in the state. Star Tribune has more than 1,000 employees.
This person will work with staff writers and freelancers to create and shape content for Vita.mn, the Star Tribune's tab and website for young, active entertainment seekers. With direction from Vita.mn's lead editor, he or she will help initiate and guide fresh, timely local entertainment coverage for print and web, working with staff writers and freelancers and also reporting and writing on a regular basis. As an editor, this person will take responsibility for specific departments of Vita.mn and will serve as lead editor when the Vita.mn editor is away. This person reports to the senior arts and entertainment editor. This is a part-time, 20-hours/week, position.
He or she needs to be a skilled writer and editor, with substantial experience in entertainment coverage. Knowledge of current cultural trends is a must, coupled with the savvy and energy needed to translate those into compelling ideas for print and the web. Professional experience is a plus, as is an intimate familiarity with the Twin Cities arts and entertainment scene. He or she must understand the needs of the Vita.mn reader and online user and be familiar with current digital platforms and common tools, such as social media and blogging. He or she must be a stickler for deadlines, and must be able to work independently as part of a collaborative team.
How to apply online
- We prefer that you apply online, which you can do by clicking the link below.
- You can upload your cover letter, resume and clips using our online tool, which accepts a number of file formats (PDF, JPEG, FIG, DOC, DOCX, TXT and BMP).
- Our system will let you upload up to six files in addition to your cover letter and resume.
- If you have more than six files to submit beyond your resume and cover letter, you should combine some of them.
- None of your files can be larger than 2 MB.
- You can complete your online application in stages by selecting the link marked “Continue later” at the bottom of each page. That will prompt the system to email you a case-sensitive username and password that you can use to sign in and finish at a later time.
- We won’t see your application until you click submit. Once you take that step, you won’t be able to alter your application or attach additional documents to it.
The online application tool we use, SmartRecruiters, is optimized to work with Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers may not give you full functionality.