Web Developer II/III
- Minneapolis, MN
Star Tribune Media Company is Minnesota’s largest producer and distributor of news, information and advertising across multiple print and digital platforms, including newspaper, website, mobile, tablet and video formats. The Star Tribune newspaper and StarTribune.com regularly reach more than two-thirds of the adults in the Twin Cities market or more than 1.7 million people. The company has been serving the Minneapolis/Saint Paul market for more than 144 years, providing trusted local and regional news and information produced by the largest force of professional journalists in the state. Star Tribune has more than 1,000 employees.
The Star Tribune is looking for a mid to senior level Web Developer to join our growing technology team to support the largest media website in the state. With over 6 million unique visitors every month, you will be working in a high visibility position helping to move forward our initiatives on the web, on various mobile platforms and other emerging technology. This position will work with all aspects of the Star Tribune, including News, Advertising, Circulation, Classifieds and Marketing, to develop the best possible technical solutions to each problem.
Web Developers are instrumental in moving the consumer technology of the Star Tribune forward every day. Your role would be to architect and deploy scaled applications to the traditional web, mobile, tablet, social and app infrastructures in a way that is efficient and effective. As a growing team, your ability to collaboratively work with our development, design and business resources is vital and your ability to clearly communicate technical challenges and resolutions will be seen as a primary strength.
Because of the changing technology inherit to the job, your ability to learn on the fly, adapt to changing platforms and technology over time and work into a maintainable infrastructure and framework will be key to your success. We see each of our Web Developers as a leader and your ability to provide input and guidance into the overall technical direction of StarTribune.com and our other digital properties will help to strengthen all of our products.
We are primarily a PHP/MySQL styled shop but we value the ability to learn, adapt and collaborate over extensive experience with our particular slice of web technologies. If you have server administration skills and interests, we also have an embedded DevOps team made up of folks who have interests in operations as well as development that all developers can opt to join.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field or commensurate work experience. Experience in a technical capacity on an engineering team, preferably in web and mobile environments. Ideally, the applicant will have experience working with a heavily trafficked website and across numerous web-enabled platforms.
Demonstrated understanding of internet structures, web programming, development tools, as well as skill working with project managers on active projects or users facing technical problems. Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to new technologies as the opportunities present themselves. Comfortable in working within a role servicing many different types of internal and external clients.
- Experience in web programming languages, e.g. PHP or Python
- Experience with databases e.g. MySQL, Redis, or MongoDB
- PHP Framework experience e.g. Zend Framework, Laravel, or CodeIgniter
- Enterprise Content Management System experience a plus
- Search engine experience such as Solr, Elasticsearch or Lucene a plus
- Experience with web services e.g. REST, Soap and payment gateways
- Familiarity with source controls like Subversion or Git is a plus
- Understanding and experience in object orientated programming techniques and design patterns such as MVC, Subject-Observer, and Factory a plus
- Familiarity with distributed computing methodologies and concepts
Submission Email: DigitalJobs@startribune.com or apply online at www.startribunecompany.com/jobs
Posting Date: August 13, 2013
How to apply online
- You must fill out our online application, which you can do by clicking on the link below.
- You can upload your cover letter, resume and clips using our online tool, which accepts a number of file formats (PDF, JPEG, FIG, DOC, DOCX, TXT and BMP).
- Our system will let you upload up to six files in addition to your cover letter and resume.
- If you have more than six files to submit beyond your resume and cover letter, you should combine some of them.
- None of your files can be larger than 2 MB.
- You can complete your online application in stages by selecting the link marked “Continue later” at the bottom of each page. That will prompt the system to email you a case-sensitive username and password that you can use to sign in and finish at a later time.
- We won’t see your application until you click submit. Once you take that step, you won’t be able to alter your application or attach additional documents to it.
The online application tool we use, SmartRecruiters, is optimized to work with Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers may not give you full functionality.