- Minneapolis, MN
The Star Tribune Media Company is the upper Midwest’s largest source of news and information, delivering more of what matters to Minnesota all day, every day. With the seventh-largest Sunday and 12th largest daily circulation newspaper in the U.S., the most-visited local website, numerous mobile and tablet apps, and Twin Cities Values, Star Tribune reaches more consumers than any other Minnesota media brand. In 2013 the company was recognized with two Pulitzer Prizes as well as the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce “Best in Business” award.
The Star Tribune is looking for an entry to mid-level Web Developer to join our growing technology team to support the largest media website in the state. With over 6 million unique visitors every month, you will be working in a high visibility position helping to move forward our initiatives on the web, on various mobile platforms and other emerging technology. This position will work with all aspects of the Star Tribune, including News, Advertising, Circulation, Classifieds and Marketing, to develop the best possible technical solutions to each problem.
Responsible for designing, writing, testing and deploying moderately complex, distributed interactive applications across various platforms. Maintains and improves in-house production applications. Becomes familiar with the entire Digital Technology operation and be able to respond in a timely and knowledgeable manner to situations requiring his or her attention. The applicant would work to remain current in understanding rapidly evolving technologies, particularly those related to digital technology.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field or commensurate work experience. Some experience in a technical capacity, preferably in a web environment. Ideally, the applicant will have experience working with a media company or other heavily trafficked website.
Demonstrated understanding of computers and computer programs, as well as some skill in working with project managers on active projects or users facing technical problems. Demonstrated ability to learn and adapt to new technologies as the opportunities present themselves. Comfortable in working within a role servicing many different types of internal clients.
- Some experience in web programming languages, e.g. PHP, Perl, or Python
- Familiar with web template languages, e.g. Smarty or Velocity
- Some experience in at least one relational database architecture, e.g. MySQL, MSSQL, or DB2
- PHP Frame Work Experience, Zend Frame Work or CodeIgniter is a plus.
- Enterprise Content Management System experience a plus
- Familiarity with a source code repository system like Subversion, Git, or CVS is a plus
- Understanding and experience in object orientated programming techniques and design patterns such as MVC, Subject-Observer, and Factory a plus
- Familiarity with distributed computing methodologies and concepts
Submission Email: DigitalJobs@startribune.com or apply online at www.startribunecompany.com/jobs
Posting Date: October 24, 2013
How to apply online
- You must fill out our online application, which you can do by clicking on the link below.
- You can upload your cover letter, resume and clips using our online tool, which accepts a number of file formats (PDF, JPEG, FIG, DOC, DOCX, TXT and BMP).
- Our system will let you upload up to six files in addition to your cover letter and resume.
- If you have more than six files to submit beyond your resume and cover letter, you should combine some of them.
- None of your files can be larger than 2 MB.
- You can complete your online application in stages by selecting the link marked “Continue later” at the bottom of each page. That will prompt the system to email you a case-sensitive username and password that you can use to sign in and finish at a later time.
- We won’t see your application until you click submit. Once you take that step, you won’t be able to alter your application or attach additional documents to it.
- The online application tool we use, SmartRecruiters, is optimized to work with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers may not give you full functionality.