Multiplatform (Copy) Editor/Slot
- 425 Portland Avenue, Minneapolis, MN
The Star Tribune Media Company is the upper Midwest’s largest source of news and information, delivering more of what matters to Minnesota all day, every day. In the 16th-largest U.S. market Star Tribune reaches more consumers than any other media brand, with the country’s 5th-largest Sunday newspaper, the most-visited local website, numerous mobile and tablet apps, and a portfolio of print and digital products. In 2013 the company was recognized with two Pulitzer Prizes as well as the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce “Best in Business” award.
The Star Tribune is seeking a news slot to maintain the highest quality control while acting as the last line of defense on style, grammar and production issues on the multiplatform editing desk. The slot will be responsible for stories that appear in the A and B sections and ensuring that headlines – in print and digitally – and other display type are compelling, smart and engaging. In addition to editing copy and writing headlines, our MPEs use templates to layout pages and they update stories on the web.
This position is covered under our contract with the Newspaper Guild and pays $76,232.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated they are an energetic editor with a proven track record as a slot who can mentor younger desk editors as well as help position the desk to take advantage of new media. Knowledge of AP style is mandatory. Design experience is preferred.
- You must fill out our online application, which you can do by clicking on the link below.
- You can upload your cover letter, resume and clips using our online tool, which accepts a number of file formats (PDF, JPEG, FIG, DOC, DOCX, TXT and BMP).
- Our system will let you upload up to six files in addition to your cover letter and resume.
- If you have more than six files to submit beyond your resume and cover letter, you should combine some of them.
- None of your files can be larger than 2 MB.
- You can complete your online application in stages by selecting the link marked “Continue later” at the bottom of each page. That will prompt the system to email you a case-sensitive username and password that you can use to sign in and finish at a later time.
- We won’t see your application until you click submit. Once you take that step, you won’t be able to alter your application or attach additional documents to it.
- The online application tool we use, SmartRecruiters, is optimized to work with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Other browsers may not give you full functionality.