Community Outreach Advocate
- Stockton, CA
The mission of our client San Joaquin Pride Center is to serve the diverse LGBTQQIA community in San Joaquin County and the surrounding areas by creating a safe and welcoming space, by providing resources that enrich body, mind and spirit, and by educating the public in tolerance and respect for all people within the LGBTQQIA community.
Our Client San Joaquin Pride Center (SJPC) is seeking an energetic, passionate, dynamic, detail-oriented bilingual (English/Spanish) team player with excellent project management and event planning skills to serve as a Community Outreach Advocate serving San Joaquin County and Stanislaus County. The Community Outreach Advocate provides skilled administrative and program support to the team including the Executive Director, staff and board members. The advocate shall rally the San Joaquin County and Stanislaus County LGBT communities around getting informed about the new rights and benefits afforded to our LGBT community, will conduct outreach and education throughout San Joaquin County public schools on behalf of SJPC.
Part-Time: Tues-Friday 30 hrs. a week
Pay: 16.00 hr
Overall responsibilities include assisting in communications (social media, press releases, and reports), appointment scheduling and assisting clients over the phone, helping to market our events and programs, and data entry. Administrative support for Executive Director includes scheduling, prioritization, maintaining administrative systems, and communicating with participants. Also, supporting teams in tracking client goals and reporting compliance.
Bilingual English/Spanish is REQUIRED
The community outreach advocate has the power to influence choices and behavior in the community. Relationships are developed through one-on-one interaction. It is important for the community outreach advocate to support the Executive Director’s efforts to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate community programs.
The ideal candidate will be an organized, nimble, and skilled problem solver with exemplary people skills who handles pressure and changing prioritizes.
- Assist the team with implementing their outreach strategies to increase overall awareness of our services and to recruit participants for specific workshops and program staff with monthly workshop prep, outreach, and logistics.
- Planning and implementation of successful fundraising, cultivation and some media/program events. Manage event contractors supporting fundraising events. Support established project timelines. Build and sustain volunteer teams for specific activities. Work with Executive Director and staff to develop event themes, engage networks and inspire participation across the agency. Oversee all event and auction logistics.
- Coordinate special events for the department as needed.
- Provide administrative support for program staff including data entry, tracking of program statistics and deliverables, scheduling client appointments and workshops, and following up with clients.
- Create and maintain systems, coordinate timelines, track activities and assure timely completion of fundraising campaigns and various deliverables.
- Create the planning and implementation of successful fundraising, cultivation and some media/program events. Manage event contractors supporting fundraising events. Support established project timelines. Build and sustain volunteer teams for specific activities. Work with Executive Director and staff to develop event themes, engage networks and inspire participation across the agency. Oversee all event and auction logistics.
- Creating and sending our monthly newsletter to participants.
- Provides administrative and program support to the Executive Director as needed including scheduling, communication with constituents, managing tasks and priorities, and maintaining administrative systems.
- Independent and team oriented, the ability to research, prioritize, track, and follow up on multiple tasks and projects.
- Strong communication, writing, and social media skill required. Serve as support for department social media, press releases, blogs, newsletters and list serves.
- In partnership with the Executive Director create criteria to track effectiveness of fundraising activities and campaigns. Create and disseminate reports based on established criteria and analytics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent judgment and people skills, ability to work with stakeholders in a sensitive and effective manner. Ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy, ability to maintain strong boundaries and confidentiality when needed.
- Extremely organized, efficient and detailed oriented.
- Excellent administrative skills. Demonstrated proficiency is required in Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2007 and/or 360, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Must be accurate and detail-oriented and possess strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize competing priorities in a complex and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent problem solver, able to bring creativity to finding win-win solutions, excels at working through the complexity of situations.
- Ability to handle pressure with grace and humor, works well under tight deadlines.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial approach, including solution oriented approaches to complex issues. Ability to adapt to changing environment and priorities.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills and excellent oral communication skills required with a wide range of audiences.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills and ability to work both independently and within a team-oriented organizational structure. Ability to build strong partnerships across boundaries, roles or socio-economic status.
- Commitment to the mission of the San Joaquin Pride Center. Knowledge of and familiarity with San Joaquin Pride Center’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender communities and commitment to the mission and vision of the Center.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a broad cross-section of the LGBT community with cultural competency, sensitivity and responsiveness to its varying needs.
- Must be able to handle sensitive information with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is REQUIRED
- Advocate must comply with funding requirements as required which will be discussed during interview.
- Must have access to own transportation, reimbursements for travel will be provided.
- Knowledge of issues facing the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender senior communities is preferred.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) AA Degree Preferred plus 1-year experience in similar environment or Human services/social welfare degree preferred.
The San Joaquin Pride Center (SPJC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or inter-sex are encouraged to apply. The San Joaquin Pride Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability (including HIV or AIDS), medical condition, perceived physical disability or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by statute.
Submit: Cover letter expressing your interest
Resume detailing experience/qualifications