Software Engineer (Front-End)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Come join one of the many teams within Seller at Square – we build the products that our millions of sellers use every day to run and grow their businesses. Each team included below has unique and interesting opportunities – there’s almost certainly something for you!
Within Square’s Seller team, we value (and practice) deep collaboration between teams and disciplines. You’ll work with engineers across the organization to implement solutions to problems with direct impact on our customers. You’ll work regularly with product managers and designers to ensure we’re shipping the right things to our sellers and iterating based on their feedback.
We are looking to hire motivated Front-End Engineers who enjoys the thrill of a successful A/B test, as well as finds joy in building out shared components for our partner teams to use. We work closely with product, design and marketing to ensure we’re always taking a holistic approach to how best serve our merchants. As a small team we like to move quickly, and expect engineers to have a large impact on the road-map, product and technology.
Teams that are hiring in Toronto and open to remote employees:
- Channels & Fulfillment
- App Marketplace
- Customer Data Platform
- Square Console
- Customers Marketing
- Write concise code, and sensible tests
- Scaffold integrations with third-party APIs
- Guide the architecture of our front-end systems to ensure quick and stable feature development
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, and product managers to design and build world-class product experiences.
- Own the entirety of your features; including component design, implementation, automated testing, and roll-out.
- Familiarity with popular JS-app frameworks (Ember, React, Vue.js, Angular, etc.)
- Experience in testing your code (QUnit, Mocha, Jasmine, Rspec, etc.)
- An understanding of how the web works with experience developing applications and can make pragmatic engineering decisions.
- 4+ years of related professional experience.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
Languages and technologies we use and teach:
- Technologies: HTML, CSS
- Frameworks: Ember.js, Vue.js, React
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources